Joel Aldrich House
The Joel Aldrich House located at 76 Great Road in Union Village in North Smithfield was built in 1808 by master builder Walter Allen. Allen was considered one of the early developers of Union Village. The Joel Aldrich House contains many details similar to Walter Allen’s own home built in 1802.
A 2½-story, 5-bay Federal house, the home has two interior end-wall chimneys. The central entry has a pedimented portico and fluted pilasters. Above the door is an elliptical fanlight with intricate web design.
During the early 19th century the Joel Aldrich House was used a dormitory for the Linden Academy located across Great Road. A school for young ladies, in the 1850’s the academy moved to Pawtucket.
From 1925 to 1943 Dr. and Mrs. William King owned the house. The Kings added an impressive stairway with two balconies, a style more commonly seen in southern homes. Mrs. King also added a sleeping porch, now an office, and bathrooms with china tile.
In 1943 the home was purchased by Mr. & Mrs. Randolph Holt who lived there until 1993 when it was purchased by the present owner.
Entered into the National Register in 1978, the Union Village Historic District Union includes several homes built in the 18th and early 19th centuries.